Friday, February 26, 2016

Chapter 16 & 17 Quotes and Questions

CHAPTER 16:
     Mrs. Emma and two others went to visit Jefferson. Grant worked at the school and his students were still planning for the Christmas program. He wanted them to keep Jefferson in their minds. Mrs. Emma wants Grant to come see her, and he does go to see her. She wanted to talk to him about his last visit with Jefferson, because when she went to visit him it did not go well. He continuously kept asking her for something that she said she did not have. Grant became basically annoyed with the fact that he could not do anything to help Jefferson.

CHAPTER 17:
    After a while, Grant felt his frustration going away. He was never the type to ponder on things too long. When Grant went on his next visit, he wanted to talk to Jefferson about the stress that was on Mrs. Emma. Jefferson kept stressing the fact that there were certain things that were not on his mind while sitting on front row. There was so much tension in the cell, and both of the men began to get very angry. When Grant went to speak to the sheriff upon his request, he told him that there seemed to be no improvement in Jefferson's character. Come to find out, the sheriff was already upset from a visit that Mrs. Emma paid to him. She wanted to meet with Jefferson in the dayroom, but the sheriff said that he would have to be shackled even if that happened.

Chapter 16 Quote:
    "I do everything I know how to do to keep people like him from going there to."

Chapter 17 Quote:
  
“I don’t know when I’m going to die, Jefferson. Maybe tomorrow, maybe next week, maybe today. That’s why I try to live as well as I can every day and not hurt people. Especially people who love me, people who have done so much for me, people who have sacrificed for me. I don’t want to hurt those people. I want to help those people as much as I can.”
Open Ended Questions:
  - How do you really think Grant feels?
  - Why do you feel like Jefferson is to the point where he does not really care?
  - Do you feel like Mrs. Emma is in the right when she went to the sheriff?
  - Just by reading to the point that you have read, what do you think the outcome will be in this situation?
  - What is the probable reason that Grant will not give up on trying to help Jefferson?

No comments:

Post a Comment